Friday, February 11, 2011

Eco Valentines

How do you celebrate (or not) valentine's day? At our house, we are really looking to reduce the amount of waste we produce, so there won't be any pre-packaged valentine's candy (plastic wrap - augh!!) or hallmark valentine's cards.

For my son's friends, I made used an adorable printable bear lollipop cover from Skip to My Lou. Because we made our own, we were able to avoid buying pre-made cards that were wrapped in plastic and a cardboard box. I also chose a chocolate lollipop that was wrapped in foil to help with my plastic-free february mission. For his teachers and grandparents, we made cards, cutting hearts out of scrap paper and gluing them to our recycled card stock.

I'll be making my valentines some yummy cupcakes this year and will include some chocolate-covered cherries for my dear partner. (They cherries have been soaking in brandy since Nov - part of my homemade Christmas presents - so I hope they are still usable.)

What gifts are you planning for valentine's day?

No comments:

Post a Comment